Seizing Opportunities and Sidestepping Pitfalls: Drafting Welfare Plan Documents
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
A 90-minute TeleConference/Live Audio Webcast
1:00-2:30 pm ET / 12:00-1:30 pm CT / 11:00 am-12:30 pm MT / 10:00 am-11:30 am PT
Employee benefits, particularly welfare benefits, are increasingly disputed in claims and in litigation. The panelists will discuss strategies for reducing litigation and other risks associated with the design and administration of employee benefit plans through careful drafting of plan documents, summary plan descriptions and other employee communications.
- What Controls – the Plan or SPD?
- Assuring Deferential Review by a Court
- Effective Subrogation and Reimbursement Clauses
- Ensuring Amendments are Effective
- May the Plan Impose a Statute of Limitations?
- Excluding Leased Employees and Independent Contractors
Phyllis Borzi, O’Donoghue & O’Donoghue LLP, Washington, DC
Carol Weiser, Sutherland, Asbill & Brennan, Washington, DC
T. David Cowart, Jenkens & Gilchrist, Dallas, TX
Steve Spencer, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, Washington, DC
**Checks should be made payable to ABA-JCEB and mailed to 740 15th Street, N.W., Washington, DC.**